Two men charged over rape of female soldier

June 28, 2017

Two UK former corporals have been charged with the rape of Corporal Anne-Marie Ellement, a 30-year-old colleague who committed suicide at an Army barracks in 2011. 

 Thomas Fulton and Jeremy Jones are to face a court martial hearing after being accused of assaulting Corporal Anne-Marie Ellement. Director of service prosecutions (DSP) Andrew Cayley said: "After an initial investigation into the case in 2009 it was referred to the Service Prosecuting Authority (SPA) who decided there was insufficient evidence to prosecute. "In 2013 at the request of the family the then DSP referred the case to the Crown Prosecution Service for a review. That review was completed earlier this year. "As a result of the review, and having considered all the available evidence in this case, I am satisfied that there is sufficient evidence to charge the defendants with these offences and that it is in the public and service interest to prosecute them. "In coming to this decision I have concluded that the original decision by the SPA not to prosecute was wrong." Cpl Ellement, from Bournemouth, Dorset, was found dead at Bulford Barracks, Wiltshire, in 2011, two years after she alleged she was raped while stationed in Germany.   Report by Sky News 29th October 2015: http://news.sky.com/story/1578511/two-charged-over-rape-of-female-soldier  

June 28, 2017

Two men charged over rape of female soldier

June 28, 2017

Two UK former corporals have been charged with the rape of Corporal Anne-Marie Ellement, a 30-year-old colleague who committed suicide at an Army barracks in 2011. 

 Thomas Fulton and Jeremy Jones are to face a court martial hearing after being accused of assaulting Corporal Anne-Marie Ellement. Director of service prosecutions (DSP) Andrew Cayley said: "After an initial investigation into the case in 2009 it was referred to the Service Prosecuting Authority (SPA) who decided there was insufficient evidence to prosecute. "In 2013 at the request of the family the then DSP referred the case to the Crown Prosecution Service for a review. That review was completed earlier this year. "As a result of the review, and having considered all the available evidence in this case, I am satisfied that there is sufficient evidence to charge the defendants with these offences and that it is in the public and service interest to prosecute them. "In coming to this decision I have concluded that the original decision by the SPA not to prosecute was wrong." Cpl Ellement, from Bournemouth, Dorset, was found dead at Bulford Barracks, Wiltshire, in 2011, two years after she alleged she was raped while stationed in Germany.   Report by Sky News 29th October 2015: http://news.sky.com/story/1578511/two-charged-over-rape-of-female-soldier  

Latest News

Women at the Center of Rwanda’s Peacebuilding and Recovery

NEWS
January 8, 2026

Women have been central to Rwanda’s peacebuilding trajectory since the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi, a period marked by extreme violence, including the systematic use of sexual violence as a tool of genocide

Read News Item

Rwandan Women Peacekeepers Lead Action

NEWS
January 8, 2026

Rwandan Women Peacekeepers Lead Action Against Gender-Based Violence in South Sudan

Read News Item

The Continuing Challenge of Violence Against Women in Rwanda

NEWS
January 8, 2026

Violence against women continues to be a major human rights challenge in Rwanda.

Read News Item

Winnie’s Story - Choosing Policing as my career

NEWS
December 18, 2025

Read News Item

Critical Analysis of Rwanda’s Women, Peace and Security Agenda

NEWS
November 11, 2025

Rwanda has often been cited as a global leader in advancing gender equality, particularly in governance and peace building.

Read News Item

Resilient Leaders, Powerful Mentors: Women in Rwanda’s Security Institutions Inspiring Change

NEWS
October 10, 2025

The Rwanda Defence Force (RDF) and the Rwanda National Police (RNP) are security institutions and platforms of transformation, resilience, and mentorship.

Read News Item

Rwandan Female Police Officers Scaling Heights Of Policing Career

NEWS
May 30, 2019

May 30, 2019: In March 2019, the United Nations expressed its gratitude to a Rwandan Police Officer, Assistant Commissioner of Police, (ACP) Teddy Ruyenzi, for her outstanding role in UN peacekeeping. ACP Ruyenzi, who is among the top most senior police officers at the rank of ACP, leads a trail-blazing force of 160-strong all-female Formed Police Unit (FPU) in the Republic of South Sudan under the United Nations Mission in Southern Sudan (UNMISS).

Read News Item

Rwanda to send all-woman peacekeeping force to South Sudan

NEWS
July 10, 2018

July 9, 2018: Rwanda is set to send an all-female formed police unit for deployment in South Sudan under the UN peacekeeping mission, the Rwandan police said Tuesday. The contingent is the first female team to be sent on a foreign mission by the country.

Read News Item