The UK Ministry of Defence must confront its dark legacy on sexual abuse of servicewomen

NARA & DVIDS Public Domain Archive/ Sgt. John Onuoha
November 6, 2025

The emerging allegations of unnecessary and invasive medical examinations conducted on women entering the UK armed forces highlight systemic failures that directly affect women’s ability to participate safely and equally in the security sector. Hundreds of women now report that, at the very start of their military careers, they faced intimate examinations presented as routine, often without clear explanation, consent, or a chaperone. Many of these recruits were young women at the threshold of military service, eager to succeed and unaware that what they were being subjected to might not have been standard medical procedure.

These claims span decades, from the 1970s to as late as 2016, and are now the subject of a major Wiltshire Police investigation. Although the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) changed its policy in 2018, removing the requirement for internal examinations, this shift suggests an implicit acknowledgment that earlier practices were inappropriate. While the examinations were reportedly conducted by civilian doctors, the MoD set the standards, commissioned the assessments, and accepted their outcomes, meaning it retained full responsibility and a duty of care. Women described being told to strip, examined intimately without chaperones, and reassured that this was “routine,” leaving them little room to question authority.

This situation reflects broader cultural patterns previously raised in the Women in the Armed Forces Defence Select Committee inquiry, where women described environments shaped by power imbalances, lack of information, and silence driven by fear of reprisal. When women encounter harm and mistrust at the entry point to service, it discourages participation and undermines efforts to increase women’s representation in the UK security sector. Addressing these past harms is not only necessary for accountability but is critical to ensuring that women can serve with dignity, safety, and equal opportunity within the armed forces.

To read the full story, see here

NARA & DVIDS Public Domain Archive/ Sgt. John Onuoha
November 6, 2025

The UK Ministry of Defence must confront its dark legacy on sexual abuse of servicewomen

NARA & DVIDS Public Domain Archive/ Sgt. John Onuoha
November 6, 2025

The emerging allegations of unnecessary and invasive medical examinations conducted on women entering the UK armed forces highlight systemic failures that directly affect women’s ability to participate safely and equally in the security sector. Hundreds of women now report that, at the very start of their military careers, they faced intimate examinations presented as routine, often without clear explanation, consent, or a chaperone. Many of these recruits were young women at the threshold of military service, eager to succeed and unaware that what they were being subjected to might not have been standard medical procedure.

These claims span decades, from the 1970s to as late as 2016, and are now the subject of a major Wiltshire Police investigation. Although the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) changed its policy in 2018, removing the requirement for internal examinations, this shift suggests an implicit acknowledgment that earlier practices were inappropriate. While the examinations were reportedly conducted by civilian doctors, the MoD set the standards, commissioned the assessments, and accepted their outcomes, meaning it retained full responsibility and a duty of care. Women described being told to strip, examined intimately without chaperones, and reassured that this was “routine,” leaving them little room to question authority.

This situation reflects broader cultural patterns previously raised in the Women in the Armed Forces Defence Select Committee inquiry, where women described environments shaped by power imbalances, lack of information, and silence driven by fear of reprisal. When women encounter harm and mistrust at the entry point to service, it discourages participation and undermines efforts to increase women’s representation in the UK security sector. Addressing these past harms is not only necessary for accountability but is critical to ensuring that women can serve with dignity, safety, and equal opportunity within the armed forces.

To read the full story, see here

Latest News

Women at the Center of Rwanda’s Peacebuilding and Recovery

NEWS
January 8, 2026

Women have been central to Rwanda’s peacebuilding trajectory since the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi, a period marked by extreme violence, including the systematic use of sexual violence as a tool of genocide

Read News Item

Rwandan Women Peacekeepers Lead Action

NEWS
January 8, 2026

Rwandan Women Peacekeepers Lead Action Against Gender-Based Violence in South Sudan

Read News Item

The Continuing Challenge of Violence Against Women in Rwanda

NEWS
January 8, 2026

Violence against women continues to be a major human rights challenge in Rwanda.

Read News Item

Winnie’s Story - Choosing Policing as my career

NEWS
December 18, 2025

Read News Item

Critical Analysis of Rwanda’s Women, Peace and Security Agenda

NEWS
November 11, 2025

Rwanda has often been cited as a global leader in advancing gender equality, particularly in governance and peace building.

Read News Item

Resilient Leaders, Powerful Mentors: Women in Rwanda’s Security Institutions Inspiring Change

NEWS
October 10, 2025

The Rwanda Defence Force (RDF) and the Rwanda National Police (RNP) are security institutions and platforms of transformation, resilience, and mentorship.

Read News Item

Rwandan Female Police Officers Scaling Heights Of Policing Career

NEWS
May 30, 2019

May 30, 2019: In March 2019, the United Nations expressed its gratitude to a Rwandan Police Officer, Assistant Commissioner of Police, (ACP) Teddy Ruyenzi, for her outstanding role in UN peacekeeping. ACP Ruyenzi, who is among the top most senior police officers at the rank of ACP, leads a trail-blazing force of 160-strong all-female Formed Police Unit (FPU) in the Republic of South Sudan under the United Nations Mission in Southern Sudan (UNMISS).

Read News Item

Rwanda to send all-woman peacekeeping force to South Sudan

NEWS
July 10, 2018

July 9, 2018: Rwanda is set to send an all-female formed police unit for deployment in South Sudan under the UN peacekeeping mission, the Rwandan police said Tuesday. The contingent is the first female team to be sent on a foreign mission by the country.

Read News Item