Lebanon Finally Adopts its First National Action Plan for Lebanese Women
September 20, 2019
September 20, 2019: On September 12, the government of Lebanon endorsed the country’s first National Action Plan (NAP) to increase the engagement of women in security and peace, while enhancing their protection and leadership. This plan aims to implement Security Council Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace, and Security, offering a comprehensive national framework for the long term stability and security of Lebanon and a building block for the attainment of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
With its endorsement, the plan commits Lebanon to engage women in decision-making in political dialogues and peacebuilding efforts, to increase women's participation and representation in local and national governance structures as well as to increase women's representation in the security forces.
According to NCLW, The proposed 1325 NAP for Lebanon includes five strategic priorities that were defined and agreed upon as follows:
- Increase the participation of women in decision-making at all levels: in security and defense sectors, in political and public life; in the economy as well as in peace mediations and negotiations.
- Engage women in conflict prevention, including raising awareness on human rights and tolerance.
- Prevent and protect women and girls from sexual and gender-based violence including strengthening coordination mechanisms between different national institutions to respond effectively to gender-based violence.
- Integrate women’s needs and perspectives in all relief and recovery efforts.
- Amend, adopt and implement laws and policies that will serve to advance the above priorities.
Read more: Lebanon Finally Adopts its First National Action Plan for Lebanese Women (the961.com)
Latest Newsview all
A Diversity of Skills Found Among Women
September 22, 2021
Some of those advocating for more women in the workplace use the potentially counterproductive argument that women innately bring much needed "soft skills" to the traditionally technical cybersecurity leadership community.
International Day of Peace
September 17, 2021
2021 Theme: Recovering better for an equitable and sustainable world
U. S. Congress Moves Closer to Making Women Register for the Draft
September 7, 2021
The U.S. House Armed Services Committee voted Wednesday to expand registration for the Selective Service System, commonly known as the draft, to include women, a move that brings the requirement one step closer to becoming law.